The Summer Social Impact Internship (SSII) Fund supports students pursuing unfunded nonprofit and government agency internships by defraying anticipated costs, such as housing, transportation and food. Accepted students who are pursuing in-person internships from sites with high housing costs are eligible to apply for a cost of living supplement of up to $1,000.
Students must be:
- Accepted by the SSII Fund for Summer 2024
- Pursuing an in-person internship
- Residing in the same geographic/metro area as the internship site
- Traveling internationally or staying at a site for which the Housing - Cost of Living index is greater or equal to 180 percent on the ACCRA Cost of Living (COL) Index for Q3 of 2023
- You can find the Digital ACCRA Q3 COL Report at Princeton University Libraries, or
- Use this Google Sheets version of the report to identify relatively high-cost (>170%) housing sites, which are found in Rows 5-21.
- Applicants renting summer housing during their internship at Princeton University between June 2 and August 4 are also eligible to apply.
Although eligibility does not guarantee that you will be offered a SSII Cost of Living Supplement, eligibility does mean you are qualified to apply if you need a supplement to defer the costs of accommodation, travel and food during your internship.
Students pursuing virtual internships are not eligible. If students pursuing virtual internships have safety or security concerns related to working from their permanent residences on record, they have the option to stay in on-campus housing in Princeton, NJ and are strongly encouraged to let Jessica Matzko know that they need to pursue this housing option before the Summer Housing deadline of April 28, 2024 if they are interested in this option.
Travel To/From Home
The SSII Fund will not award a cost-of-living supplement for travel to/from your permanent residence of record from Princeton University. Students who are returning to their permanent residences for the summer typically have travel to/from home included in their financial aid packages. If the SSII Fund awards you funds to return to a location within 25 miles of your permanent residence, your financial aid package may be reduced.
Accepted students who are interested in applying for a Cost of Living supplement must complete and submit the Request Form for the SSII Cost of Living Supplement via email to [email protected] by May 7, 2024. Applicants can expect to receive a decision within seven business days.