Make an action plan
Use this Top Five Tips to Prepare for Fall Campus Recruiting worksheet to begin to build your customized plan.
- Use online resources like Vault to learn more about industries, organizations and positions.
- Attend employer information sessions on campus to make connections and hear directly from representatives.
- Each organization that recruits on campus has a Handshake profile. If you search their name in the system, you will find a description, website links and more.
- Search and follow organizations on social media platforms.
- Create a pre-interview plan.
- Refine your interview skills before you meet with employers. You can schedule an appointment with a career adviser who will help you prepare for the real thing.
Tips for interview day
Avoid back-to-back interviews
Interviews often run behind, which means you may get out of your first interview later than expected and have even less time to get to the next.
Always arrive a few minutes early. Bring an extra copy of your resume and cover letter as well as a portfolio with notepaper and a pen. Prepare a list of questions for the interviewer and be sure to find out when you can expect to hear back with news about your interview.
Follow up with a thank you
Ask your interviewer for a business card and follow up with a brief thank you. An email is acceptable if you have been corresponding via email previously, or if second interviews are coming up soon.